This website uses the following abbreviations for texts in the Cahiers, and for works by Freud and Lacan:
Cahiers pour l’Analyse. A reference of the form CpA 6.2:36 refers to page 36 of the second article in the sixth volume of the Cahiers, as listed in the table of contents. Titles to Cahiers articles are given in French. Where an English translation for an article is available, inclusion of the English page number follows the French, after a forward slash.
Jacques Lacan, Écrits. Paris: Seuil, 1966. Ecrits, trans. Bruce Fink, in collaboration with Héloïse Fink and Russell Grigg. New York: W.W. Norton, 2006. References in the form ‘E, 803/680’ refer to the French/English pagination.
Jacques Lacan, Seminars (1954-1980), in 27 volumes. References in the form ‘S11, 278’ refer to page 278 of volume 11. References are to English translations where available. The published volumes have been edited by Jacques-Alain Miller; Cormac Gallagher has made available some draft English translations. The volumes that figure most prominently on this website include:
- Seminar I: Freud’s Papers on Technique [1953-54], trans. John Forrester. New. York: W.W. Norton, 1988.
- Seminar II: The Ego in Freud’s Theory and Technique of Psychoanalysis [1954-55], trans. Sylvana Tomaselli. New York: W.W. Norton, 1991.
- Seminar III: The Psychoses [1955-1956], trans. Russell Grigg. New York: W.W. Norton, 1993.
- Seminar V: The Formations of the Unconscious [1957-1958], trans. Cormac Gallagher, unpublished manuscript.
- Seminar VII: The Ethics of Psychoanalysis [1959-60], trans. Denis Porter. London: Routledge, 1988.
- Seminar VIII: Transference [1960-61], trans. Cormac Gallagher, unpublished manuscript.
- Seminar XI: The Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis [1963-64], trans. Alan Sheridan. London: Penguin, 1977.
- Seminar XII: Crucial Problems for Psychoanalysis [1964-65], trans. Cormac Gallagher, unpublished manuscript.
- Seminar XIII: The Object of Psychoanalysis [1965-66], trans. Cormac Gallagher, unpublished manuscript.
- Seminar XIV: The Logic of Fantasy [1966-67], trans. Cormac Gallagher, unpublished manuscript.
Sigmund Freud, The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud, ed. James Strachey et al. London: Hogarth Press, 1953-1974, in 24 volumes. A reference of the form ‘SE14:148’ refers to page 148 of volume 14.